Ultimate Guide To Choose The Right Fabric
29/06/2020 15:14 Back to articles list
Whatever sewing project you are engaging in, big or small, business or retail, FABRIC is all that matters. It’s the soul and core for your project that could make you a success or failure. We have received a lot of questions about how to choose a fabric for his project, and cannot make a decision of which one to use, etc. So over the past few weeks,we have made some summaries and guidance and can hopefully shed light on using the correct fabric. Step by step, we promise you that it won’t be hard for you to pick up a suitable fabric for your project among hundreds of them.
Be Clear About The Project
You might be wondering: of course, I know about my project and nobody is clearer than me. Well, yes, you know it the best. But from the aspect of fabric printing mill, please be aware of below points:
- The scale and budget of your project.
We will definitely suggest you purchase your fabric from a local fabric store or a local online fabric shop,at the scale of 1-4 yards and with a budget of less than $80. To feel and touch the fabric and meet the owner or salesman at the store just like we buy things in the shops. But when it comes to a larger project demanding more of the fabrics, it’s necessary to find a stable supplier that has a bulk order price break down and offer international shipping service. For example, when you order from NBPrintex, there’s a wholesale price breakdown for all custom print fabrics, ready printed fabrics and solid fabrics. And there’s a free shipping service for custom print fabric under 25 yards, which is cost-effective for sampling.
- Are you looking for custom print fabric, printed fabric or solid fabric ?
There are, of course, other types of fabrics available like yarn dyed, tie dye fabrics, etc. But here we just talk about the most commonly used fabrics. For custom print fabrics, do you have your designs ready? If not, you can view our textile printing pattern gallery uploaded by gorgeous designs around the world. For printed fabrics, do you have a pattern preference? Does it have to be flower pattern or animal pattern or something else ? Same as printed fabrics, do you have a colour preference for solid fabric ? Anyway, you can get to our fabric page and have a look around if some fabric could catch your eyes.
Do Some Research
Oh, don’t worry. It’s not real research that will take you a lot of time and energy. Just simply go to the apparel stores. Feel and touch the ones you like. Look at the carelable and get the composition and other information. In this way, you don’t only know what types of fabrics you are looking for but also what’s trendy in the market. On top of that, you can look at the styles that are similar to your project. For example, I’m looking for some fabric for a blouse. Then you just go and see what type of fabrics are being used for blouses in the shop.
Feel And Touch The Fabric
It’s never easy to make your decision when you are just not so confident, so a sample booklet is a perfect choice if you are in trouble finding your fabric. When you have it, you will have an idea of what kind of fabric you are looking for.If you already know the fabric name like it’s a cotton poplin or something like that. It would be a lot easier to get the fabric you want. Tell us as much information as you can and we will suggest the fabrics close to your description.
Narrow Your Search
One of the most efficient ways to get the fabric you want is using the filter at our fabric page. We have several ways to help you make the final decision.
- Filter by weaving method. As you can tell, there are only two weaving techniques. It’s not a hard thing to choose between woven and knit fabric as they are not even close. And I bet you have an answer already.
Just in case you are not pretty clear about woven and knitted fabrics.
Normally woven fabrics are less stretchy. And the yarns are crossing each other at right angles to form the grain. See the left side of the image, basically like that. The yarns go left and right, up and down
Well and here we go of the knitted fabric. It’s more like loops and circles. Due to the knitting method, knitted fabrics are more likely to be stretchy than woven fabrics
- Filer by weight. Let’s first get some rough ideas about what fabric weight actually feels like. Here the unit is gsm and it represents gram per square meter, a very important value for us to measure the weight of a fabric. Fabrics at 0-50gsm are usually very sheer and can be seen through.Usually they could be a great material for scarves,linings, etc. For these from 50-200gsm fabrics, they are less sheer and could be perfect for any of the tops, dresses, scarves,blouses,skirts, etc.Heavier fabrics from 200gsm and above, they might be used as jackets, outwear, bottoms and even decoration materials.
- Filter by material.Congrats, we have narrowed at least 50% of our target fabrics by these two simple steps. Now let’s look at the Material.
If you are looking for beautiful and durable synthetic fibers to be printed, we would like to suggest you to go with polyester. For some natural fiber lovers, you can go with cotton, linen. And for luxurious apparel, directly go with silk. Anyway, there is a full range of fabrics ( custom printing fabric, printed fabric and solid fabric ) for you to choose.
Attention To The Fabric Features
We have set some features for each of our fabrics from 1 to 5 stars,5 being the best. They are thickness, brightness,elastance,water absorption, softness,breathability and transparency. You can evaluate every fabric based on these features.
Some Tips For Fabric Choosing
- You will never want to use polyester material to have an intimate touch with your baby child, especially when it’s summer. Due to the feature of the polyester, it’s not as breathable as cotton, linen or other natural fabrics. So do not ever use a fabric that’s made up of polyester for your baby child project.
- Another point is that women like polyester fabrics as they are flowy, drapey and good looking while men don’t have a preference for that.
- Special wash care for silk, before trying to clean your luxurious silk made apparel. Be sure to use “cool” water or the colors will just bleed and it’s not reversible even with Infinity Gauntlet.
Last but not the least, hope you already have an idea of choosing the right fabric. If you have more comments and experience for some tips of fabrics, please be sure to leave your comment below.